Everybody’s Favorite!

Hi my friends!  Growing up did your mom cook a favorite recipe that everybody loved?

When my family was young I often made Sweet and Sour Chicken.  It was everybody’s favorite.

The recipe was given to my by a wonderful college roommate who has since passed away.  I think of her fondly whenever I make it.

My youngest daughter and her hubby came for a three day visit from AZ a couple of weeks ago.

I had taken some chicken tenders out to thaw and decided I would make some.  After I thought about it.  I realized that I had not made it in an awfully long time.

IMG_7619

Doesn’t that look yummy?   I made this on a Friday night.  On Saturday the family got together and had BBQ’d Pastrami Burgers and Homemade Onion Rings.  We were celebrating Kylee’s birthday a little early. 

Both of my sons got into the refrigerator for something and when they spied the leftovers they both said, “You made Sweet and Sour Chicken?”  I think they were a little disappointed that they hadn’t gotten any.

It made me laugh.  Here is the recipe:

Sweet & Sour Chicken

3-4 lbs. chicken (I now use boneless/skinless)            2 beaten eggs

1 garlic salt                                                                   1 c. cornstarch

Sauce:  (I double and sometimes triple this. We serve the chicken over rice and my family likes to put extra sauce on the rice.)

1 c. sugar                                                                      1/2 c. vinegar

1/4 c. cr. pineapple                                                        1 Tbs. soy sauce

4 Tbs. catsup                                                                 1/2 tsp. salt

Sprinkle garlic salt on chicken and let stand for a while.  Mix cornstarch with chicken in sack and shake.  Dip in egg and fry in oil just till browned on both sides.

IMG_7617.

Place in casserole or 9x13 pan.   Heat sauce and pour over chicken.  Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Here’s the thing, I couldn’t remember whether or not I covered it.  Didn’t say on my recipe.  After baking it I am sure that I did.  DUH, I use to cook it in a covered casserole.  Am I losing it or what? lol!

As you can see, it was a bit overcooked.  Still yummy, but not as juicy and some of the sauce had cooked away, darn!

IMG_7623

This is not a healthy meal, but every now and then; YUM!  I tried to balance it out by serving lots of garden veggies.

IMG_7620IMG_7622

IMG_7624

Long post, but before I end I have to tell you that our daughter and her husband have decided to go to Spain for a year and teach English.  UGH!  This is my baby!

I am trying to be adult about it.  I keep telling myself it is meant to be.  They sold their condo in AZ in one day and got exactly what they were asking for it.  They also have a small home in Lehi and were able to rent it this week.  They close on the 27th and will be coming home to stay with us until Oct. 1st when they head for Spain.  Hubby and I are thinking that we must go visit.

This is something they have wanted to do before starting a family.

This is Kylee.  She has started a new blog called,  Postcards from Ky  I would love if you hopped over and wished her well.  She will even send you a postcard if you would like.

image (15)

Missing her already!

Hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing with:

Elaine for Sunny Simple Sunday

 The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sunday

 

 

21 comments

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

First let me say THANKS for that wonderful recipe - it is one thing I know my finicky eater DH would love - so going to make soon.

Sorry you forgot to cover it- I know, it happens, we forget. But you remembered you forgot, so you aren't nearly as bad as I!!

As for the opporunity to your youngest, that's awesome. you must be so proud, but WOW - that's so far away!

You definately must visit Spain, it is so rich in history - an amazing place and I would love to see it again, it's been a long time.

Your youngest is a true beauty, what a beautiful young woman.

Have a grreat weekend, Jann!!

Barbara F. said...

Your chicken recipe sounds delish and it looks wonderful. Reminds me of a Hawaiian chicken dish I used to make back in the day. :) Good luck to your daughters, it will be a wonderful experience for them. xo

Ricki Treleaven said...

Ky's blog is so cute!!!! I look forward to sharing it with my 15 year old. She will love it!

Linda said...

I checked her blog out - very nicely done! I am following her now, so I will keep up with her travels in Spain! You are such a good mom - nice plug for her blog! And your recipe for the chicken is now on my list of things to do in the next few days!

NanaDiana said...

Jann- I am SOOO excited to find this recipe. I made something similar several years ago but lost the recipe. I think the only difference is that I used pineapple chunks. I am saving this to try it when the kids come over. I made it while they were growing up, too.

I will pop over to Ky's blog. I as sad that Spain is calling their name...xo Diana

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Looks like a great recipe that I would love to try!...Good luck to your daughter...since they sold their home in one day and got what they wanted, I think their decision to take "the journey" was meant to be...my neighbor just came back from vacationing in Spain and loved it!...I wish her and her hubby safe travels and much luck...I know you will miss her terribly, but what a great excuse to visit Spain!!!

camp and cottage living said...

Jann
I know you will miss your daughter, but like you said now you have an excuse to go to Spain!
I can't wait to try your Swt. & Sr. Chicken recipe. Yum!

must love junk said...

Jann, she is adorable! This is such a great opportunity for her (even though you'll miss her) and you'll just have to visit! :)
I'm gonna go check out her blog...
Susan

Susie said...

Jann,
That is funny about your boys seeing the left-over chicken. I have one grandson who asked for a special dish I make. I just took him some yesterday.:):)enjoy your family, Susie

Anonymous said...

Look at the bright side Jann. Now that this year will be underway soon, that is one year closer to making you a grandma to her future kids.

Seriously though, I admire people who can pack up and move to another country. I couldn't do that. I have talked to someone online for years who did that a few years ago and still lives overseas (You didn't see that part....tell Kylee she can't stay that long!) My friend has made a successful life for herself, though I know there are times she is eager to return home too.

Thanks for sharing your recipe. The chicken looks yummy to me!

Diann said...

This looks delicious Jann! what an amazing opportunity for your baby! Just think of all the fun things she will experience and share! Visiting from Simple Sunday

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I went to visit Kylee and I hope she and I can send postcards to each other. What a sweetie!

Susan Freeman said...

Kylee and her husband will have a wonderful time and create memories to enjoy for a lifetime. After college I taught first primary in the Middle East and it was a fabulous experience. I met so many interesting people, traveled and learned so much about other cultures and had the time of my life. When I finished there I returned to the states and went on to obtain a degree in interior design. Did I miss my parents? Oh yes, and they missed me. The year will go by so much faster than you now believe and your kids will have so much to share with you when they return home.

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Chenille Cottage said...

Hi Jann,
My husband is happily reading a book while I am visiting my sweet blog pals on this sunny Sunday afternoon. Life is good!

Oh...You have saved the day with your incredible Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe. We have guest coming for Labor Day and I am thrilled to know what to serve them. Your recipe looks so mouthwatering! Thank you for sharing, my sweet friend!

Fondly,
Carolynn xo

Joanne said...

Thanks for the recipe. It looks Yummy!
Blessings, Joanne

Cathy and Paul @One Creative Couple said...

Thanks for the recipe - it looks yummy. I will have to try it soon. Sorry to hear your daughter will be leaving you for a little while but good for her, what a great opportunity!

Nikki said...

Mom, If I would have seen the leftover chicken I would have just swiped it.... secretly of course!! It is one of my fav's and I will have to make it soon. Haven't made it for quite a while!!

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Jann,
What a tasty looking recipe...Thanks for sharing, I will have to try this for sure when the girls are still home but this is something they can make at school!
I know you are going to miss her but what an opportunity for Kylee and her husband. I agree as well plan the trip now...
All the Best,
Christine

Kate said...

Your chicken recipe looks so good! What a great opportunity for your daughter and her husband, good for them. Do try to visit them if you can, Spain is amazing and the food is to die for!

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

Jann,

In this electronic world, it is a novelty when you hear of someone who likes paper -- like your daughter (and me)! The year will go by quickly and now you have an excuse to travel overseas.

Debra

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

ha ha I saw this recipe the other day but did not have a chance to comment ( saw on Sunny S ) So here is my comment : Having raised three sons here is why I bookmarked the recipe :

Both of my sons got into the refrigerator for something and when they spied the leftovers they both said, “You made Sweet and Sour Chicken?” I think they were a little disappointed that they hadn’t gotten any.

I KNOW about fridge visits :) My sons come, say hello, and the next step is the fridge. !!! :)

Instagram