What's Not to Like About Lichen?


Hello my friends,
 
I have so many wonderful pictures from my vacation to the Carolinas that I haven't had a chance to share yet.
 
The first week hubby and I stayed in the Sapphire Valley area.  One foggy morning we hiked Whiteside Mountain.
 
I've mentioned many times how much I love moss, but do you know what I love just about as much?  Lichen!
 
So imagine my delight when this hike had
 plenty of both.
 

 





 
I truly felt as though we were in the 'land of lichen'!

 
Look at this.  Doesn't it look like a little fairy is about to appear any moment?  I was wishing that I had packed my gnomes or pinecone elves along for this trip.  I would have had so much fun playing with them!  :)

 
We hiked this high stairway and guess what we found at the top?
 


Thick fog, and . . .
 
 
more lichen.


 
 
 Isn't the world a beautiful place?
 
That's one of my favorite things about traveling.  Seeing all of the gorgeous things God has created.
 
 
I am kind of lichen them a lot.  lol!
 
 
hugs,
Jann
 


11 comments

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

I have plenty of lichen if you want to make your way to NY!!

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh I know that you are enjoying every money of your moss and lichen! LOL! Never heard the term lichen before but now I have! Dang I've learned something new today just from blogging. LOL! Such fun times though and yes, God and His creations is nothing short of a miracle to me. Happy Wednesday Jann. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Jeanie said...

We're headed to the Carolinas in June so it's extra fun to see your photos. How beautiful! (A friend used to have a dog named Lichen!)

Rose L said...

One of my friends actually changed her last name to Lichen. We see a lot of it here in Oregon, and moss as well. There is plenty of it in Washington in the Olympic National parks Hoh Rain forest.

Linda W. said...

You certainly hit the lichen jackpot! We've got a lot of it in the Columbia River Gorge.

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Hi Jann, you had better be careful your you might have caught some kind of disease! lol Like Lichen syndrome. lol Have a wonderful day. xx Jo

rush said...

I also love moss and lichen. Sphagnum moss that hangs from the trees in my yard here in almost-coastal southeastern NC is kind of strange though. It isn't as pet-able as the green mosses on trees, rocks and the ground. Lichen makes such pretty patterns on the trees. Thank you for your photos. I really enjoyed them.

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

Now this was interesting because I don't think that I realized the difference between the two until your photos!:)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Lichen is indeed and interesting plant to see! I sometimes find it in the mountains here in rocks that face north and do not get much sun. You found so much of it at your vacation spot!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I love moss but I guess I never took notice of lichen! It is beautiful! Looks like a nice adventure.

cynthia lee designs said...

Love the photo of the fog at the top of the steps!!.. So pretty!!
~Cindy

Instagram