Oh My Stars!

Hi everyone, thanks for stopping by.  In case you haven’t noticed there’s been a lot of Fall Fever going on here in blogland.

I have been seeing posts pop up here and there featuring some fun ideas.

I must admit that I am getting a bit anxious to put out my Fall décor.

However, for the last month or so all I could do is see stars.  Now if blondes aren’t dizzy enough, we certainly don’t need to see stars!  Yup, stars were popping into my head constantly.  I was even seeing them when I laid my head on my pillow at night.  Now maybe that’s not such a bad thing.

Here’s the culprit as  to why I just could not get stars out of my head.  For the past month or so I have been trying to finish this Fall quilt for my bed.

IMG_7722

50 something stars later and oh don’t ask me how many half square triangles; it is finally finished.

Well, still need to bind it, but the hard part is done!

This pattern is called ‘Halloween 1904’.  A few of my friends bought the kit. The stars, pumpkins, and moon were meant to be appliqued.  Because my friend, Joyce didn’t applique she decided to use wool instead of fabric.  She sewed them on machine with invisible thread.  When she showed me hers with the touches of wool I knew I wanted to make it.

One thing that was nice is that I was able to use lots of my scraps.  The wool would have been quite pricey, but my cousin, Betty had old wool from clothing that she let me use.  What a price saver.  I only had to buy a small amount of wool.  Joyce gave me the velvet ribbon for the stems.  Aren’t friends the best?

IMG_7727IMG_7723IMG_7724IMG_7725

Here is a picture of me showing it to my quilt guild today.

IMG_7690

Can I just tell you that honestly I think I made more mistakes on this quilt than all the other quilts I have ever made put together.  I don’t know if it’s because I really was not in the quilting mood.(Trying to get a few quilts made for our guilds upcoming Fall Quilt Show), or that my knee was bothering me, but let’s just say, “It’s not my best work”.

If you’d like to see other wonderful quilts and a sneak peek of our upcoming quilt show visit the Kennel Girls Blog.  Click on words and it will take you there.

I made it King size to fit my bed.  Once I get it on there I know I will love it. I will use it Sept. thru Nov.

This post is turning out to be a bit long, but let me show you another quilt I just finished.  Now this one was fun.

Remember, our new grandson, Will?  Two weeks old last Fri.  I made him a woodland quilt for his nursery.  Easiest and fastest quilt I’ve ever made!

IMG_7688

I was trying to hurry and get it finished so I decided to machine applique the owl and branch with invisible thread.

IMG_7719

The best part is the soft fuzzy minky backing.  The quilter did a cute oak leaf pattern.  Hope baby Will likes it!

IMG_7720

What have you been up to lately?  Sure hope you haven’t been seeing stars!

Hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing with:

Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday

The Melrose Family for Whimsy Wednesday

whimsy-1

All Star Block Party

French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday

Made U Look Party

40 comments

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

Both quilts are so pretty! What a talent you have!
Erica :)

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Jann, your so talented! Love the fall look to it, can not imagine all that hard work..hope it gives you many great nights of sleep.

Linda W. said...

Wow, what beautiful quilts! Great job.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Love the quilts! Don't tell anyone about the mistakes and they will probably never know. :D

Salmagundi said...

Love that you used wool in the quilt - it really gives it an added dimension! I've been gathering some little pieces of wool lately for a small 'penny rug' type project. Can't wait to get started, but promised myself I had to deep clean the house first - maybe I can start on the wool next week!!! Sally

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Not your best work...mercy....what is good to you???? It is fantastic!!

Shirley Hatfield said...

It's perfectly okay to make mistakes on quilts...the Amish make them on purpose. They are so skilled that they felt it would be prideful to make a perfect quilt...only God is perfect. I heard this years ago when I went through my quilting phase. =D BTW, beautiful quilt in fantastic colors! =D

NanaDiana said...

Wow- What wonderful quilts you put together! I absolutely love that first quilt- the flaws are only seen by you! That second one is the same theme as my newest grandson's nursery...and is gorgeous-xo Diana

Gina said...

Oh Jann, both quilts are beautiful! You did a wonderful job on them.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh my goodness, if this one is not perfect..than I'm Angelina Jolie, lol!! I think it's gorgeous and the other sweet one as well. You are one talented lady Olson! Hugs,
FABBY

Peg said...

Fabulous! The Fall quilt is going to be gorgeous on your bed. Love it! Will is going to love his quilt too! You are so talented. Can't wait to see the stars on your bed!

Grammy Goodwill said...

WOW, both those quilts are just beautiful. What a talent you have. I tried to make a quilt once. I'm sure Will loves his. (I hope he won't ask my William if I've made one for him.)

Two Cottages And Tea said...

What a beautiful quilt and such a keepsake! It sure looks perfect to me. Love the baby quilt too. Lucky grandbaby! You sure are talented! I've only made patchwork quilts and years ago I crocheted a star quilt so I know alittle how you feel! Thanks for sharing.
Nancy

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That little owl quilt is just precious. It makes me wonder if I could try one of these for my first quilt! I sure do love it!

stacy sews and schools said...

GORGEOUS quilts!!! That little owl quilt is too cute!!!!

I found you through the All Star Block Party!

StacySewsandSchools.Wordpress.com

Unknown said...

Is there anything you don't do? This is amazing. I just don't have the patience to quilt. Love your projects!

Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party.

Full Circle Creations said...

I love your quilts! Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party!

Holly

DearHelenHartman said...

That is such a special quilt! Stars are my "God Wink" signs so I love seeing so many of them.

Kris said...

You fall quilt is wonderful Jann! I love it. Right up my ally! And I know little Will will love his quilt for sure!!!
I am not in the mood yet to quilt. But soon!!!
: ) Kris

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

Your quilts are beautiful! Iwish I were patient enoug to do one!

Linda said...

I love your fall quilt! I simply do not have the patience to do anything that detailed!

Debra@CommonGround said...

Jann these quilts are just wonderful. that owl quilt is so precious!! great job!!

Melanie said...

Both quilts are lovely! Guess that you were seeing stars!! I have wanted to do some fall decorating too!! The past few days it seems that there is a hint of fall in the morning air!

pembrokeshire lass said...

What a beautiful quilt. I would be seeing stars too!! I've never tried quilting and would like to one day! I just loved the little quilt. What a talented lady you are!! Joan

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

Oh, my friend. You have some fabulously crafty hands there. These are both spectacular! Wow! The king size's going to look (and feel!) fabulous on your bed! And Will's baby quilt will look (and feel!) marvelous in his nursery! And what a keepsake these both are!

Anonymous said...

You are so very talented. My mother is a quilter...and I envy that particular talent as it is not for everyone...it takes patience and a precision eye...plus a lot of creativity. Your quilts are absolutely beautiful...can't wait to see photos of it on your bed.

Anonymous said...

Anyone who quilts is very talented in my eyes. I've always wanted to make one, but never have. Your star quilt is beautiful and I'm sure the baby and his mom will love the cute owl quilt. Great job Jann!

priscilla said...

Your fall quilt is gorgeous ! Love the wool and velvet , makes it even better that you used old clothes for the wool pieces !The baby quilt is adorable !

JoAnn SweetPepperRose said...

Simply beautiful!!! LOVE stars and LOVE fall, I think everybody is just so ready for a cool snap! outstanding work, ladies!
JoAnn

Rose L said...

OMG Gorgeous quilts! I admire those who can do this. It takes patience and persistence.

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I'm impressed Jann, I have never made a quilt. Very nice.

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Wow! That has to take so much dedication. For someone who starts a lot of things, it would be hard for me to finish a beautiful big quilt like that. The smaller one with the owl is just adorable. I think it does look more doable. Hmmm...have to keep that on my radar!
Liz

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

Great quilts, Jann. The colors of the stars quilt will add visual warmth to your bedroom.

Debra

Chenille Cottage said...

Hello, my sweet friend!
Oh...I love...love...love your beautiful quilt, Jann! Just look at all those stars and those plump pumpkins. You are going to love jumping into bed this Fall with your snuggly new quilt!
Big hugs,
Carolynn xo

Chenille Cottage said...

I am up late...really late...and, I'm getting a little spacey!
I'm back to tell you how sweet I think your quilt is for little Will. I love the minky backing. It will be so cuddly for your grandbaby. How perfect for his woodsy bedroom. My son and his wife are expecting their first and baby's room is going to have monkeys in trees. I love the quilt you designed and you have given me an idea for making their quilt.
Blessings and thanks, Jann!
Carolynn :)

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Jann,
Love the Stars Quilt!! All of the added textures and wool touches...Just so cozy! The baby Quilt for Will is just so sweet, it is going to be perfect for his nursery and cuddling with him too!
I look forward to seeing the Stars Quilt on your bed when you are ready to decorate for Fall!
All my Best,
Christine

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Oh I love them both- I think you did a fantastic job quilting them.

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

Love love LOVE this fall quilt and the baby quilt. Will click on the Guild's link yep : )

Full Circle Creations said...

I have featured your quilt at the All Star Block Party features. Stop by and grab a featured button.

Holly
http://fullcirclecreations.blogspot.com/2012/08/its-feature-time_20.html

Kim~madeinaday said...

Love your quilts, especially that owl! Thanks for linking up!
Kim@madeinaday

Instagram